Although Bhutan is known for the beauty of its mountains and "Gross National Happiness", most of the population lives in remote areas with rugged terrain and few educational or economic opportunities. Bhutan has one of the lowest literacy rates in Asia, and before READ established our first Center there, there was only one public lending library in the entire country. Bhutan was closed off from the rest of the modern world until the 1960s.
READ Global is one of the only international non-profit organizations operating in Bhutan.
READ's work in Bhutan
READ began working in Bhutan in 2008 with the goal of transforming rural communities by creating access to information and resources, and building a culture of reading. With the help of our partner communities, we have established the first rural lending libraries in the country. From a Center that provides agricultural trainings to farmers, to environmental sustainability programs for kids, to a program to boost women’s civic participation, READ is helping create vibrant places to live and thrive in Bhutan.
- Literacy programs in partnership with the Ministry of Education
- Basic English Literacy Programs
- Reading and Writing Programs
- Programs for women home-based workers
- Small scale business skills and management
- Sustaining Enterprise development
- Computer Literacy classes
- Leadership and boosting women's participation in public spaces
- Women's Health Classes