READ is currently hiring for the positions listed below:
Asia Regional Director
Location: Bhutan, India, or Nepal
About the Position:
This position is part of READ Global’s senior management team which includes the Executive Director (ED) and Director of Strategic Partnerships and Initiatives (DSPI) based in the READ Global headquarters in San Francisco, USA. The Asia Regional Director will provide both leadership and support to three country teams engaged in all aspects of READ’s operations including program planning and budgeting; ongoing project implementation and monitoring; and the finance and accounting, human resources, compliance and administrative functions. This position will also provide some support READ Global’s fundraising and program partner development in Asia. The position reports directly to the Executive Director in the Global Office in San Francisco and supervises three Country Directors in Bhutan, India, and Nepal. The Asia Regional Director will be expected to have regular interactions with the READ Global Board of Directors, the Board of Advisors and trustees for the Bhutan, India and Nepal READ operations, and other key READ Global external stakeholders or funders. This position is based in South Asia (in Bhutan, India or Nepal), requiring frequent travel throughout the region.
Global Program Operations
- Participate on the management team to develop and implement strategy for READ Global’s growth in general and provide leadership in implementation, evaluation and overall management of programs.
- Communicate regularly with the Executive Director and other relevant Global Office staff on important issues and events related to country operations - including program implementation; legal, financial and human resource issues; donor, local government and external relations; and new program opportunities, including local fundraising
- Oversee Nepal, India and Bhutan Country Directors to ensure day-to-day management and oversight of all of READ Global’s programs and operations in Asia. The Regional Director is expected to be well acquainted with the issues and local context of offices and regularly lead regional meetings to discuss key themes, priorities, issues and challenge.
- Oversee the development of annual work plans and corresponding budgets by the Country Offices and work closely with the Country Directors and Global Office to set and finalize the annual strategic direction for the Country Offices.
- Ensure timely implementation of programs across all countries according to annual plans and budgets in order to ensure that countries achieve their annual and strategic goals.
- Provide guidance/oversight to Country Directors in their initiatives to improve and ensure viability of sustaining enterprises.
- Ensure Country Office reporting is conducted timely and accurately; work closely with the Executive Director and READ Global finance team to monitor annual budgets to ensure costs do not exceed budgetary constraints and to project future budgetary needs for each country office.
- In conjunction with Global Office and Country Directors, define and oversee key HR-related policies and procedures, including performance management systems, employee manuals, new hires and HR growth plan, and policies around salaries and benefits. Participate in the hiring of key READ employees in the Asia region.
- Together with Country Directors and Global Office, define and oversee cross-organizational development efforts (i.e. staff trainings, staff conferences, development programs).
- Ensure that Country Offices properly develop and utilize critical tools used to track program implementation and spending, such as Implementation Calendars and budgets/spending forecasts.
- Review and provide feedback on Country Office reports, including Monthly Implementation Updates and Quarterly Reports.
- Make recommendations for program and process improvements to Executive Director and other relevant Global Office staff and, in collaboration with other team members, help support their implementation.
- Assist Country Directors with development of annual performance plans, provide regular feedback on performance, and undertake formal performance reviews when desirable/required.
- Identify Regional and key Country Office staff capacity-building and assist with sourcing of support to address the needs.
- Implement and monitor compliance with organization-wide operating policies; ensure region has adequate internal financial and program controls, and recommend additional controls as necessary
- Work with country team to codify best practices for each element of the READ model, so that they can be shared across existing countries of operation
- Work with Country Directors, ED and outside counsel and accountants to manage all legal and compliance issues related to READ’s legal registrations and reporting requirements
Fundraising/Awareness building and Partnerships
- Provide program oversight and guidance related to new funding opportunities, including insight on prioritization of programs and staff capacity
- Support Global Office fundraising efforts by helping to connect and steward key fundraising opportunities across Asia (primarily India, Singapore and Hong Kong) and with various institutional relationships that may not be managed at the country level
- Support Country Teams with their fundraising efforts by providing senior guidance and presence where needed on in-country fundraising opportunities
- In collaboration with Country Directors, drive strategy for developing key NGO partnerships.
- Network with other stakeholders, governments, non-profits running similar programs to find areas of collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Represent READ Global’s work across all three countries by attending and speaking at different strategic forums and advocating the importance of our work
Education / Experience
- Postgraduate degree in Arts, Social Sciences, Management, Public Administration or relevant disciplines.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience, with at least 5 years in a senior management capacity and 5 years in an international development or operations role.
- Experience managing staff in multiple offices
- Excellent relationship management skills and proven ability to network with and establish strategic relationships with multiple stakeholders both within the organization and outside - government, donors, civil society members across geographies, staff and board of directors.
- Ability to effectively lead, motivate, mentor and manage a high caliber team.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with a diverse range of people from different environments, sectors, and society
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English along with superior presentation skills.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, budget processes and PowerPoint and at least one project management software.
- Ability to be effective in a non-profit organization focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead.
- Experience of working in South Asia and providing leadership to a multicultural team.
- Experience in leading fund-raising efforts including strategizing, writing grant proposals, guiding teams and establishing key relationships with donors - corporate, foundation, bilateral and multilateral and individual.
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization with a proven track record of handling multiple priorities simultaneously and achieving results
- Passion and commitment for READ’s mission
- Resourceful and well-organized
To be successful as a member of the READ Global team, the candidate would have to:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Travel: Ability and willingness to travel frequently (approximately 25-30% of time) to READ countries and other parts of Asia (Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul, etc.) as needed. At least one trip to the US will be required annually.
Compensation: READ Global offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with a candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Location: The position will be based in India, Nepal or Bhutan.