We currently have openings for the positions listed below.
About READ Global
READ Global believes that empowering rural communities is critical to alleviating global poverty. We partner with communities in Bhutan, India and Nepal to create vibrant places to live and thrive. Our proven and replicable model focuses on community library and resource centers (READ Centers) as a vehicle for social and economic transformation with a particular focus on empowerment of women. Combining education, enterprise and community development, READ collaborates with rural communities to establish these centers and set-up for-profit enterprises to ensure long-term maintenance and success. READ has been the recipient of prestigious awards including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s Access to Learning Award and the 2013 Lipman Family Prize administered by the University of Pennsylvania and the Wharton School.
During the past 22 years, READ Global has successfully established 69 READ Centers across Bhutan, India and Nepal serving over 2.0 million rural villagers. In addition, over 100 for-profit enterprises have been launched to promote the sustainability and vibrancy of these Centers. READ plans to build 20-30 additional Centers over the next five years, as well as continue to deepen our program offerings to provide hundreds of thousands of rural villagers with better opportunities to improve education and livelihood.
About the position
READ Global is seeking an experienced, passionate, and collaborative Director of Development to oversee its global fundraising efforts from READ’s San Francisco headquarters. With primary responsibility for meeting a $3 million fundraising goal, the Director will work closely with the Executive Director, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Marketing and Communications Manager, Development Associate, and members of the READ Global Board. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director will design and execute a comprehensive fundraising program, as well as identify, cultivate and solicit individual, foundation, and corporate donors directly. This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated and mission-driven development professional to help an international organization grow to a new level.Duties and Responsibilities
- Take ownership of a ~$3M annual funding target and meet this target through strategic identification, cultivation and solicitation of donors and prospects independently and jointly with READ’s Executive Director, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Country Directors, and the READ Global Board.
- Lead the implementation and continuous refinement of a long-term development plan comprised of diverse revenue sources, including foundation and corporate grants, major gifts, annual giving and events.
- Design and implement a robust annual giving program, including identifying and cultivating relationships, soliciting and securing gifts, and driving a customized stewardship plan for major donors.
- Oversee strategy and implementation of global corporate and foundation fundraising efforts, including: 1) prioritizing prospects and determining potential programmatic fit; 2) initiating discussions and determining the best strategic approach for each relationship; 3) creating professional and compelling solicitation materials (LOIs, concept notes, proposals, and presentations); 4) supporting Country Directors in their solicitation of local companies; and 5) managing grant reporting schedule and creating comprehensive, professional reports for existing funders.
- Develop a comprehensive annual donor communications plan, tailoring strategic messaging to diverse audiences based on giving levels and programmatic interests. Collaborate with Marketing and Communications Manager to produce compelling marketing materials to support fundraising efforts.
- Manage fundraising database through Salesforce, tracking all donor giving, communication and meetings. Evaluate design of current system and project-manage any improvements to ensure READ’s fundraising needs are best met.
- Represent READ at donor meetings and events, setting strategies to maximize giving and raise awareness of READ Global’s work.
- Ensure that all fundraising targets are met, and that all efforts are effective and measurable.
- Engage the Board in fundraising efforts and provide input on new Board members.
- Contribute to other ad-hoc projects that are characteristic of a smaller, growing nonprofit.
- 5+ years of experience in strategic fundraising, including demonstrated success identifying, cultivating, and closing $50K+ gifts from foundations, corporations and high-net worth individuals; experience raising funds for international education and economic development programs is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically while executing tactically in order to meet the organization’s growing funding needs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the proven ability to represent the organization publicly and passionately to potential funders and other partners.
- Ability to work across diverse cultures and different time-zones in order to address global opportunities.
- Collaborative and self-directed management style with ability to work with small efficient team.
- Strong attention to detail; organized and systematic in donor management and stewardship.
- Ability to thrive in a mission-driven environment with a strong culture; passionate commitment to READ Global’s mission and vision.
- Experience with donor databases, preferably Salesforce.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office – particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
Salary commensurate with experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.