READ is currently hiring for the positions listed below:
Country Director, Bhutan
About READ Global:
READ Global is an international nonprofit organization bringing together education, enterprise and community development to create lasting social change in rural communities. Our proven and replicable model focuses on Community Library and Resource Centers (“READ Centers”) as vehicles for social and economic transformation. Combining education, enterprise and community development, READ collaborates with rural communities to build READ Centers and seed for-profit enterprises that ensure the long-term sustainability of each center so its impact will span generations. With a keen focus on community ownership and enterprise, READ Centers becoming thriving hubs for a variety of educational, community development, and economic empowerment programs and activities. READ Centers are designed to serve whole communities and their surrounding areas. Resources are available for all – adults, children, students, teachers, literate and illiterate.
READ is a non-governmental, non-religious organization that works with many local NGOs and community-based organizations to implement our programs. READ began its work in Nepal in 1991 and received the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s Access to Learning Award in 2006. In 2007, READ Global received funding from the foundation to take its unique model to Bhutan and India. In May 2013, READ Global received the prestigious Lipman Family Prize (administered by the Wharton School and University of Pennsylvania), in recognition of our work to create sustainable solutions to the world’s most pressing social and economic challenges.
Today, READ has 73 centers across our three countries of operations that are providing access to life-changing resources and programs to more than 2.1 million people. READ Global has an annual operating budget of approximately US$3M and our global team (US, Bhutan, India and Nepal) is comprised of over 60 people. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco USA and we have country offices in Kathmandu, Nepal, New Delhi, India, and Thimphu, Bhutan.
About READ Bhutan:
READ Bhutan was established in 2008 and opened the first READ Center in the rural village of Ura, Bumthang in May 2010—which was at that time the first rural lending library in Bhutan. Since then, READ Bhutan has opened an additional 5 READ Centers in Chuzagang, Trashigang, Punakha, and Pema Gatshel Districts as well as a model READ Center in Thimphu. READ Bhutan is pioneering the establishment of a community public library system within the country. The six READ Centers in Bhutan provide access to valuable educational resources and programs/trainings to more than 35,000 people in Bhutan. Programs being offered at READ Centers in Bhutan include literacy and reading programs, art programs for children, livelihood skills development, health and environmental education, and technology/computer skills trainings.
About the Position:
Open for: Bhutanese citizen only
Location: Thimphu, Bhutan
The Country Director is the highest position in the READ Bhutan country office and is responsible for all of its country programs. The Country Director will lead a passionate and entrepreneurial team of 5 full-time staff members in Thimphu. Candidates should be ready to lead and oversee the READ Bhutan team in the implementation, coordination, expansion, fundraising and monitoring and evaluation of current and future work. The Country Director’s duties will include organizational development, developing and maintaining relationships with government officials and other key partners, staff management, managing staff who are engaged in community mobilization and training programs, overseeing finance personnel and ensuring timely reporting to READ Global management and board of directors, donor reports, and managing project funds in accordance with organizational procedures.
- Provide vision and strategic direction & leadership for the READ Bhutan team
- Design and evaluate a country strategy, in conjunction with READ Bhutan field staff and management of the Global Office. Take into account community needs, donor criteria and strategies and an exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects in the country.
- Communicate regularly with Executive Director and other relevant Global Office staff on important issues and events related to country operations - including program implementation; legal, financial and human resource issues; donor, local government and external relations; and new program opportunities, including local fundraising
- Oversee the development of annual work plans and corresponding budget and work closely with Global Office to set and finalize annual strategic direction for Bhutan.
- Ensure timely implementation of programs according to annual plan and budget to ensure that READ Bhutan achieves its annual/strategic goals
- Reporting to Global Office in timely and accurate manner; work closely with the Executive Director and READ Global finance staff to monitor annual budgets to ensure costs do not exceed budgetary constraints and to project budgetary needs for READ Bhutan for 1-2 years into the future.
- In conjunction with Global Office, define and oversee key HR-related policies and procedures, including performance management systems, employee manuals, new hires and HR growth plan, and policies for salaries and benefits.
- Lead recruitment process of READ Bhutan employees and training of all staff.
- Make recommendations for program and process improvements to Global Office and help to support their implementation following agreement.
- Set annual performance goals for READ Bhutan staff, provide regular feedback on performance, and undertake annual performance reviews
- Work with Global office to identify READ Bhutan staff capacity-building and professional development needs and resources for meeting those needs
- Communicate program-related activities, issues and updates to Global office and seek approval for budget activities and any related program developments
- In coordination with the READ Global headquarters, strategically develop new and existing training programs for READ Bhutan staff and READ Bhutan community resource libraries
- Manage legal and compliance issues related to READ’s legal registrations and reporting requirements within Bhutan
- Oversee terms of agreements with consultants and manage their work
- Visit READ Centers and rural communities as needed to supervise the establishment of new Centers and ongoing operations of existing Centers
- Meet with members of rural communities as needed to assess their readiness for new Centers, including their expected 10-15% co-investment toward the total cost of setting up a new Center
- Ensure adequate monitoring and evaluation of projects and activities
- Provide fundraising leadership to READ Bhutan development personnel and fundraising support as needed to Global Office toward fundraising needs identified in Bhutan budget approved by Global Office
- Serve as primary liaison with READ Global Headquarters; READ Bhutan Advisory Board; and other critical stakeholders
- Create and cultivate strong relationships with the private & corporate sectors, public institutions, NGOs, government entities and individual donors
- Represent READ at relevant meetings and assist in planning and hosting donor visits to Bhutan
- Occasional travel outside of Bhutan as needed to support fundraising needs of the organization (potential visits to India, Singapore, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and USA).
- Masters Degree in Business or Public Administration / Management / Education preferred, Bachelors degree required
- 10-15 years work experience with at least 5 years experience in a senior management role (preferably in the international development sector)
- Experience creating annual budgets and tracking spending against approved budgets
- Strong understanding of educational and economic empowerment issues in Bhutan, especially in the rural context
- Must be comfortable and excited about traveling in rural Bhutan and engaging in meaningful dialogues with community members
- Strong planning, supervisory and program development skills
- Strong verbal and communication skills in English
- Proven track record of achieving results
- Excellent interpersonal skills—the ability to listen well to others and build consensus.
- Must be a proponent of team-work with a participatory management style
- Self-starter who can work well independently but also as part of a team
- Strong work ethic requiring minimal direction
- Passion and commitment for READ’s mission
- Resourceful and well-organized
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Office Manager, San Francisco Headquarters
About the Position:READ is currently looking for a part-time office / administrative manager to handle the following responsibilities in its San Francisco office in the Presidio:
- Filing and record-keeping.
- Entering and updating donor information in Salesforce.
- Weekly processing of tax receipts to donors.
- Managing incoming and outgoing mail and deposits of funds received.
- Some light word processing and spreadsheet creation.
- Handling a variety of HR matters, including administration of 401K plan, new employee processing, employee health benefit plan, etc.
- Managing office logistics, including management of the server, Internet service, telephone systems, office lease, etc.
- Assisting with infrequent mailings, such as fundraising appeals to donors.
- Creating monthly expense reports for the ED for submission to the READ Global board of directors and finance team.
- Occasional help making travel arrangements for READ Global staff, especially for the ED who travels domestically and internationally several times a year.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Bachelors degree (although we will consider students currently pursuing an undergraduate degree).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
- Experience with Powerpoint, Salesforce and/or Quickbooks is a plus.
- Ability to work in a leanly-staffed organization with a start-up environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with a diverse range of people from different environments, sectors, and society.
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness.
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment.
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction.
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization.
Communications Intern / Blogger, San Francisco Headquarters
About the Position:
READ Global is seeking a communications looking for a creative individual interested in gaining experience in nonprofits, international development, blogging, communications, and online content management (current undergraduate or graduate students encouraged to apply). The position is a four month internship, roughly September 1 – January 1, or coinciding with a student’s fall semester. The unpaid internship is primarily focused on curating content for the READ Global “Library Log” Blog and social media channels, with some light marketing and/or fundraising support. The intern will report to the Manager of Communications and Sustainability, and work with READ field staff in Bhutan, India, and Nepal to curate content.
- Research topics for blog posts to be written by the intern as well as READ staff, board members and guest bloggers. Blog topics focus on the following themes:
- Global Libraries
- South Asia
- International rural development
- Literacy / education
- Women's empowerment
- Sustainable enterprise and livelihood skills
- Information communications technology
- Write at least one blog post per week (350-700 words)
- Format and publish posts via basic HTML
- Publish regular content to READ’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest)
- Assist with the creation and release of regular e-newsletters
- Occasionally help create marketing collateral
- Occasional support of fundraising appeals and other donor communications.
The following trainings will be provided as needed:
- Basic HTML and website content management system training (we use Joomla, an open source software)
- Social media channel strategy, execution and analytics
- Basic Photoshop
- Introduction to search engine optimization (SEO)
Qualifications / Experience:
- Major or minor focus, or interest in English, Communications, Journalism, International Relations, Political Science, International Development, Gender Studies, or related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word required.
- Familiarity with and interest in READ’s thematic areas.
- Strong creative writing skills.
- Solid knowledge of social media channels.
- Independent worker and self-starter.
- Experience with blogging and/or content management systems a plus.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop a plus.
- Self-starter / independent worker requiring minimal supervision.